Are you stuck with a situation where you are unable to connect to the QuickBooks company file from Point of Sale to exchange data? If so then try the solution outlined below for getting your company file up and running.
Why such issue arises?
There can be several reasons behind this issue:
- If QuickBooks won’t open, the option to allow exchange of data with the QuickBooks is not been set.
- If it is open, the company file you specified has chances that it is not opened.
- If company file is open, it may be password protected and QuickBooks is waiting for the password.
- In QuickBooks preference window is also offered. So chances are that QuickBooks file that is specified company preference either not the correct company file or either doesn’t exist. So to set this preference you need to follow these steps:
From your QuickBooks, select Edit > Preferences.
- From the left navigation, select Integrated Applications.
- From the right pane, select Company Preferences.
NOTE: if you are unable to see the Company Preferences, then it means that you are not logined as Admin.
- So login through Admin account and try to connect again.
- Uncheck the checkbox that reads “Don’t allow any application to access this company file”.
- If you see your company file listed here, then click on the Properties option.
- On the properties, make sure that you have checked “Allow this application to read and modify this company file” box.
- Now click OK.
- Company Name Issue
Sometime such may arises because the QuickBooks File does not have a company name. So check it also.
- From your QuickBooks, go to select Company > Company Info
- Check that is the company name is filled their or not it can’t be left blank so fill it.
How to fix this issue?
It may has a chance that while making connection of your QuickBooks company file the file somehow get corrupted or the data in it get inaccessible so for that case you can use QuickBooks repair tool and easily recover all the files from your corrupted or damaged QuickBooks without affecting any data loss. It can also QuickBooks error so it can repair your above mentioned issue.
Steps to fix this problem:
Step 1: Download and install QuickBooks File Repair Tool and click on “Select File” button if you know the location of QuickBooks files or select “Search Files” if you don’t know the location of files.
Step 2: Click the ‘Scan File’ button for scanning the selected file.
Step 3: After then, click on the “Company” button to see the preview of scanned company information.
Step 4: By clicking on ‘Customer’ button, you can see the customer related information.
Step 5: Click on “Vendors” button to see the information of vendors.
Step 6: If you want to see the information of employees click on “Employees” button.
Step 7: Click on the “Repair” button, a “Save As” dialog box will appear select version, path and then click on the ‘Start’ button.
Step 8: If repair process is successfully completed then a message will appear as “repair process completed successfully”. Now click ‘OK’ and close the box.
Prevention over repair
Here are some best tips for keeping your data file safely, and it will help you also not to face data file connection issue in future also.
- Clean your data:
If you click files-> utilities, you will see option like called Clean Up Company Data. You need to use this tool monthly or quarterly to keep a neat and clean data file. This utility condenses closed transaction into summary journal entries, creates a journal entry and removes unused list elements.
- Verify and rebuild your data:
The rebuild tool helps to fix all errors. So runs the tool monthly or quarterly by going to File | Utilities, verify there and then rebuild your data file. This will prevent your data file from being corrupted.
- Log out of QuickBooks:
If you are not needed to use QuickBooks anymore then it’s better if you close the application because if your machine experiences a loss of network issue and you are logged in then it may have chance that it can wind up with a corrupted file.