Constantly getting error message while try opening your MS word file. Like, “Word could not create the work file. Check the temp environment variable”. Wants to fix this off but unfortunately not getting any effective solution to fix this error? Read this below tutorial as it covers the solution of this very common “Word could not create the work file” error for which most of you searching for.
Microsoft word document is the most widely accepted word processing tool which is used by numerous users all over the world. You can create documents of projects, stories and can make notes using Word tool provided by Microsoft. At certain times, you may encounter several errors while trying to access word documents. These errors hinder you to view data stored in your word file and work with it properly.
Likewise, here in this tutorial we are going to discuss about a very common error which most of the user’s encountering with. Following error message will pop-up on your screen.
“Word could not create the work file. Check the Temp environment variable”.
Reasons behind the occurrence of this error:
Above error message may occur due to the following two reasons:
- When temporary internet files folder for Windows Internet Explorer is placed in a location where you don’t have the permission to create new temporary files.
- When some incorrect registry key is entered.
Method 1: if the problem is due to temp files then change the location of Temporary Internet Files. To do this follows these steps:
- Open internet explorer, go to Tools> Internet Options.
- In the internet options Dialog Box, click the General
- Now click settings in the browsing history section and in the temporary Internet Files and History settings dialog, click”Move Folder”.
- In the browse for Folder dialog box, select the following location:
- Drive:>\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files.
- Click OK and restart the computer.
Method 2: If problem occurs due to incorrect registry value in the key then modify the registry with correct value.
Note: check that you have done correctly or not because if you have modified with any wrong value then it will take risk. Follow below steps to modify the registry.
- Go to Start->Run
- Type regedit in the Run dialog box and hit ‘enter’ button
- Locate and click on the below registry subkey:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft >Windows > CurrentVersion > Explorer > User Shell Folders
- Double-click the Cache registry entry, type the following in the Value data box, and then click OK: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files
After performing above methods, try to open your word file, if you are able to open it without any error then it’s great. However if still you are unable to open your file that clearly means your word file actually got damaged and you need an excellent third party tool to repair your document.
If the problem persists the same even after trying all theses above mentioned methods then the last option left in this is to use professional Word File Repair tool to fix word file issues in minimum consumption of time and efforts. It is especially designed to repair and recover corrupt or inaccessible .doc files. It recovers document text along with its important stuffs like indentation, formatting, charts, hyperlinks, images, tables etc.
Steps to fix MS Word issue:
Step 1: Choose file by clicking on a ‘Select File’ or either a folder that contains word files. Or even find the file clicking on the ‘Find File’ option.
Step 2: List of selected file is displayed, user requires selecting Word file using checkbox that to be repaired. Select all files by marking the ‘Select All’ checkbox. Then click on ‘Scan’ button.
Above mentioned solutions will surely help you in fixing this error correctly.