Are you getting an error message “MS Excel cannot access the location where you are trying to save the file” while saving? If your answer is YES then you should fix this issue as soon as possible because this problem may lead you to data loss condition.
You may also like: [Solved] How to Restore MS Excel Content from Temp Files?
You may face an error that says “Microsoft Excel cannot access the file ‘Network path’”. This error may appear because of the following causes:
- The name of file or path doesn’t exist.
- The excel file you are trying to open is being used by another application.
When you try to save the workbook in another place, you will get another error message:
“Document not saved”
Once the above given error appear then you all the saved files to a network drive and connection to the network drive is lost Your workbook that stores some of the PivotTable, Visual Basic for Applications module or embedded objects such as clip art.
To fix the issue discussed above, add PivotTableNetworkResiliency and NetworkResiliency subkeys in the registry by performing the following steps:
- Click on the “Start” to “Run”-> Go to the “open box” and click “OK”
- Expend the items present on the left panel and click on the folder ‘Options’ -> Go to ‘Edit’ and ‘DWORD Value’, click on the “New” option
- Type “NetworkResiliency ‘and hit ENTER key
- After it Double-click on the icon that says “NetworkResiliency ‘
- Go to the box “Value data” and type ‘1 ‘
- Click ‘OK’
That’s all, this trick will fix the above discussed issue with ease.
Reasons leading to corruption
There are several factors which are responsible for data loss that can lead to disappearance of XLS/XLSX spreadsheets from your drive. However some of the reasons for data loss are mentioned below:
Deleting excel files from external drive– Similarly when you accidentally remove files from external storage drives then they don’t get moved to recycle bin and hence there is no option available to recover the excel file.
Storage drive corruption– Due to virus infection, due to incorrect operations on storage drive or due to several other issues on your drive your file system becomes corrupt.
Accidentally deletion of excel sheets– When you delete any excel document by using delete keys then it can be easily restored from recycle bin but when you use “Shift + Delete” keys to delete the data then it does not store on recycle bin and it bypasses.
Data loss due to formatting– Sometimes to get rid of corruption issue or from format errors you may format the entire drive which contains your important file. If you have forget to take its backup then after formatting the XLSX files along with other files will also get lost on your hard drive.
Steps to repair MS Excel file:
Step 1: First download Stellar Phoenix Excel Recovery. Here you have the initial screen of this software with will guide you. Now hit on “OK” button to start the process.
Step 2: To recover you corrupted files (.xls or .xlsx), just hit on “select file” button or if you want to search an excel file click on “search file(s)”. By using “look in” you can search from the particular logical drive.
Step 3: With the help of check box you can select the corrupted file from the search list. To select all corrupted file for scanning click on “select all” box and now to begin the scanning process click on “start” icon.
Step 4: After the scanning process is complete, you have the option to view your corrupt file from right panel.
Step 5: Click on “Start Repair” button to start the repairing process, select the location to save your repaired excel file and at last click on “OK” button.
Tips to remember
When your MS Excel file gets damage or gets corrupt then it needs to be repaired so that the inaccessible data can be accessed easily. However some of the tips which one should remember are as follows:
- Always use “Delete” key while deleting excel sheets because if you find it important, you can easily restore it from Recycle Bin
- Make use of any good antivirus software so that you can eliminate the virus
- Take the backup of files before deleting
- Stop using your system after data loss
- Do not add recovered files on the original location from where you lost xlsx files