InDesign error like error code 4 is really annoying as it really affects the performance of your InDesign application.
Many users like you have encountered this error so often.
This tutorial is mainly dedicated to explain what InDesign error code 4 is, what are its causes and the most important of all how to fix this error.
So let’s start…..!
What InDesign Error Code 4 Is?
This particular InDesign error code 4 comes when an error or other unexpected issue occurs only while you work in that document.
Though InDesign has an automatic document recovery feature that can prevent damaged that system crashes or power outages can cause.
However this feature can’t avoid other system level problems such as software conflicts, low disk space or viruses cause.
Still no need to worry as this tutorial is to guide you on isolating and resolving damaged InDesign documents results due to this particular InDesign error code 4 or any other.
Causes of Indesign File Corruption Error Code 4
- Insufficient hard drive space may also generate InDesign file corruption error code 4.
- Reason can also be the incompatible or outdated system BIOS.
- Due to mismatched video adapter drivers.
- Reason can also be the damaged device driver or a system service.
- Chances are also that windows registry is get damaged from recent software changes.
Fixes To Troubleshoot Adobe InDesign Error Code 4
You must try these manual procedures to fix damaged caused because of the occurrence of error code 4 in your InDesign.
Solution 1: Install the latest InDesign update.
- In InDesign, chooseHelp > Updates.
- (Creative Cloud) Use the Creative Cloud desktop application to update InDesign.
- Download updates from the Adobe website.
Solution 2: Re-create your preference files.
InDesign stores information about plug-ins, apps itself in its preference files i.e. the InDesign Saved data And InDesign Default Files.
A damaged InDesign preferences file can may leads to occurrence of unexpected behavior with an InDesign document.
You can easily fix this issue related to InDesign preference file by recreating them.
To re-create the InDesign preference files:
- Quit InDesign.
- Re-launch InDesign and hold down the appropriate keys for your OS:
- Mac OS X: Control+Option+Command+Shift
- Windows: Control+Alt+Shift
- When prompted to delete InDesign preference files, click yes. InDesign launches with defaults and regenerated preference files.
- Open the document again and check is the problem is been solved, if still the problem persists then move on to solution 3.
You may also read:
Solution 3: Manually delete or rename your preference files
Alternatively you can try this:
- Manually delete your preference files if you are not automatically prompted to delete preferences while launching InDesign.
Manually rename your preference files if you have custom settings associated with the old preferences files that you can’t afford to lose.
Find your OS in the following table to see where these files are located.
After finishing up the deleting and renaming, restarting InDesign to recreate your preference files and then open your document to see if it is fixed or not.
If the problem still persists then restore the original preferences by deleting the new files and renaming the old preferences files back to their original names.
Solution 4: Copy page elements into a new document.
You can also try copying page element into a new document leaving the structural damage behind.
Copy the page element to a new document:
- In InDesign, open the original document.
- Choose File > New and click OK in the New Document dialog box.
- Choose Window > Tile to display both documents.
- Click the original document to activate it.
- Choose Window > Pages to activate the Pages panel.
- Drag a page or spread into the new document window. InDesign copies the page or spread into the new document, adding pages as necessary.
- Save the new document to a new name (different from the name of your original document) and try to re-create the problem.
- If the problem recurs after you copy page elements into a new one, delete elements one by one to see if one of the elements is the issue.
If the problem doesn’t recur then you must take the help of third party solution that is InDesign file repair tool.
You may also read:
Solution 5: Try InDesign File Repair Tool
InDesign Repair File Repair Tool is the best tool that can be used to fix corrupted InDesign documents.
This is one of the best repair tools and also, recover all design elements intact, such as layers, Text, Images, Tables, Media Objects, Notes & Footnotes, TOC, Bookmarks, Hyperlinks, Cross-references, Standard Shapes Special Characters, Animation and many more.
This is very powerful recovery tool that is suggested by many professional as it is easy to use and effectively scan and fix errors.
It is the unique tool that repairs all Adobe InDesign elements that get damaged, corrupted or inaccessible for various reasons.
This is the best tool that enables preview of the repaired INDD files before recovery.
It is also compatible with Mac OS X 10.6 and above versions.
And if you are the one who is suffering from the problem of corrupted INDD files and want to restore data from corrupted Indesign file then this is the best recovery application that helps you.
This is best and simple to use that a normal user can use it without any technical person.
It recover the documents without backup and supports Adobe InDesign CS5.5, CS6 and Creative Cloud (CC).
So, it is recommended to make use of this recovery application and get back the precious data.
Steps to Repair InDesign Files:
Step 1: Very firstly install and launch InDesign Repair Tool. Here, the main software boundary illustrates about capabilities and features. Click ‘Next’ to advance ahead.
Step 2: Then ‘Select File’ so that you can browse the preferred segment in your Mac and then pick the damage INDD file.
Step 3: Or choose personage hard drive or volume so as to verify all INDD files. After INDD files are listed, you can opt for troubled one and click ‘Repair’ option.
Step 4: In development bar, you can check ongoing process.
Step 5: Software opens up repaired file with Adobe InDesign to demonstrate its preview when the file is repaired.
Step 6: When you press ‘Save’, the InDesign Repair tool accumulates repaired INDD file to default spot or any additional particular scene.