Getting the error 1603 while trying to install or update QuickBooks? Looking for the fixes to troubleshoot the QuickBooks Update Error 1603, then this article is for you. Here check out the complete information on how to fix the error 1603.
QuickBooks is highly popular software and is trusted by the plenty of mid-sized business owner for handling accounts data. This is known for its best features and updating QuickBooks will provide more and more improved features and get in touch with the latest tax files.
But sometimes, while installing or updating QuickBooks the users get the error and was unable to update it. One such error is – QuickBooks update error 1603.
Well, this is a common error and can be fixed by following certain working solutions. But first, learn why you are getting the error 1603 in QuickBooks and other error messages that usually displayed along with the error 1603.
- Error 1603: The update installer has encountered an internal error.
- Error 1603: Unable to apply the patch
- Error 1603: There was a problem installing the Microsoft .NET Framework [version]
Well, this does not mean that problem occurs due to Microsoft .NET Framework, there are many other reasons as well responsible for the QuickBooks update error 1603.
Causes of the QuickBooks Install Error 1603
- Due to Malware or Virus infection as this corrupt desktop windows files or other related program files
- Due to desktop Windows registry corruption.
- The incomplete installation or corrupt download of the QuickBooks software
- Unexpected system shutdown corrupt the QuickBooks software
- Faulty .NET Framework files
These are some of the possible reasons that cause the QuickBooks update error 1603.
Symptoms of QuickBooks Update Error Code 1603
Here check out some symptoms that clearly defines the QuickBooks error code 1603.
- The QuickBooks installation is corrupted
- Corrupted Microsoft Windows installer
- The file gets locked
- Permission won’t allow the installation of the latest update
- The Windows Temp folders are full
Now try the given fixes one by one and check which one works for you.
How to Fix Error 1603 in QuickBooks?
Here try the given manual solutions carefully, if you are technically savvy or else try the automatic repair tool to fix the error automatically.
Solution 1: Repair or Reinstall Microsoft .NET Framework
Well, there are two ways to follow the solution, either make use of the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool, to allow it scanning and fix issues related to Microsoft .NET Framework, or try the manual steps to solve the problem.
Here follow both the ways and make use of any as per your desire.
1. Use QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool:
Follow the steps to use the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
- Download QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool and install it.
- As prompted, save the file on Desktop or it will save automatically in Download folder.
- Now close any running programs and run the downloaded tool
Please Note: the diagnosing process might take up to 20 minutes; this also depends on the internet speed and computer’s performance.
As the file has finished the process, restart the computer to make sure that all components have been updated successfully.
#2. Diagnosing the Problem Manually:
Here follow the steps to diagnosing the problem manually.
- Type the Windows Key + R to open Run dialog box
- And in Control Panel > click OK to open it.
- Click Uninstall a Program option > click Turn Windows features on or off. Then make sure to locate the .NET Framework 4.5 or 4.7 entry > and assure it is enabled.
- If the checkbox next to .NET Framework 4.5 or 4.7 is not enabled, then enable it by clicking the box. Click OK to close Windows Feature window > reboot the computer.
- Next, if .NET Framework 4.5 is already enabled > then you can repair.Net Framework by clearing box and rebooting the computer. As the computer restarted > re-enable.Net Framework > restart computer
- Now check .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is enabled by locating it on the same list and check to mark the box next to it.
- But if the checkbox next to .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is not enabled > enable it > click OK to close Windows Feature window > reboot the computer.
- But if .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is enabled already> then repair it by clearing the box and reboot the computer. And as the system restarted > re-enable .NET Framework > restart the system again.
Hope in this way you can diagnose the problem and able to fix the QuickBooks update error 1603.
You Might Also Be Interested In:
- How To Fix QuickBooks Error -6147, 0 on Windows/Mac
- Solution To Fix Quickbooks Error 6150-0
- How To Fix Quickbooks Error 6189-83
- How to Resolve Update Errors in QuickBooks
Solution 2: Reinstall QuickBooks Using a Clean Install
If the error 1603 is yet not fixed then try to simply reinstall QuickBooks using a clean install. Well, to start the installation process make sure you are having the setup file or downloaded it from QuickBooks’ official site. You also need license number before you start.
Now follow the steps given to reinstall QuickBooks.
- Make sure you are logged in with an administrator account and backup the data you want to save as deleting QuickBooks will remove it.
- Then click on Start menu > open Control Panel by searching for it. Or else click on the gear icon to open settings if you using Windows 10.
- And in Control Panel > choose to View as Category at top right corner > click Uninstall a Program > under Programs section.
- If you are using Settings app > click on Apps this should immediately open list of the installed program on PC.
- And in Control Panel or Settings,> locate QuickBooks > click Uninstall
- The QuickBooks uninstall wizard opens with two options: Repair and Remove. Choose Remove > click Next to uninstall the programs
- A message pop-up saying “Do you want to completely remove QuickBooks for Windows?” > select Yes.
- And as the un-installation completes process > restart your computer to check whether the error still appears.
- Now you need to rename the installation folders so that QuickBooks does not utilize the remaining files after reinstalling it.
- Click on This PC and navigate to the Windows folder C drive
Please Note: if you are unable to see some folder mentioned below > you need to enable the Show Hidden Files and Folders option from within the folder.
- Then on File Explorer’s menu,> click on the “View” tab > in the Show/hide section click on “Hidden items” File Explorer shows the hidden files and will remember the option until it is changed again.
- And navigate to each of the folders displayed below > rename them by adding ‘.old’ to their name. This ensures that new installation of QuickBooks won’t use the folder or files located in them.
C:\Users\(current user)\AppData\Local\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
64-bit version C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
Please Note: You might end up receiving “Access Denied” error at the time you try to rename these folders. This means that one of the QuickBooks processes is running and prevents you from modifying any of the files and folders these processes are using. In this case, follow the steps below:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc key to open Task Manager. And search for the Start menu.
- Then to expand the task manager click on More details > and search for the entries displayed below on the Task Manager Processes tab list of > right-click on each one of them > select End task option from the context menu that appears.
- Now click Yes to the message which is going to be displayed: “WARNING: Terminating a process can cause undesired results including loss of data and system instability….”
- And you are ready to reinstall QuickBooks Desktop by running the file you downloaded earlier. The link is at the very start of this Solution.
- And follow the onscreen instructions and after completing the whole process check if the error 1603 is fixed or not.
Hope after following the given manual solutions you are able to fix the QuickBooks update error 1603. But if you are unable to follow the manual fixes or in case the error is not fixed, then without wasting time run the QuickBooks File Repair Tool.
Automatic Solution: QuickBooks File Repair Tool
Make use of the use QuickBooks File Repair Tool, this is best to fix various issues and errors. It detects the errors and problems of QuickBooks Files (QBW) and repair/fix them effectively and thereby allows you to recover important information such as vendors, company, financial information, employees, customers, payroll transactions and many more.
Steps To Fix QuickBooks Error Code 1603
Step 1: Download and install QuickBooks File Repair Tool and click on “Select File” button if you know the location of QuickBooks files or select “Search Files” if you don’t know the location of files.
Step 2: Click the ‘Scan File’ button for scanning the selected file.
Step 3: After then, click on the “Company” button to see the preview of scanned company information.
Step 4: By clicking on ‘Customer’ button, you can see the customer related information.
Step 5: Click on “Vendors” button to see the information of vendors.
Step 6: If you want to see the information of employees click on “Employees” button.
Step 7: Click on the “Repair” button, a “Save As” dialog box will appear select version, path and then click on the ‘Start’ button.
Step 8: If the repair process is successfully completed then a message will appear as “repair process completed successfully”. Now click ‘OK’ and close the box.
Hope the given solution works for you to fix QuickBooks update error 1603. Try the given fixes one by one to fix error code 1603.
You can make use of the manual fixes to resolve error 1603 or else make use of the automatic solution to fix error 1603.
This helps you to fix all sorts of QuickBooks errors and optimize QuickBooks performance.